December 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
RMRR Board Meeting
November 28, 2016
Present: Dave Rothenberger, Dave Cunningham, Deb Cunningham, Rick, Jim Mair, Lisa Wilson, Stephanie
- Treasurers Report- Leslie Mitchell was out of town but sent in an email report, which is as follows:
“I’ve attached current financials, bank statement, authorized van roster, and an app for Joy Norris.
Quicken updated their software and they finally have added year-to-year comparisons for Macs. Hopefully you don’t mind that I spent $44 to get the update. Sure made me happy. Our gross income is up $1,700 YTD over last year. Mostly due to membership, but all categories showed an increase (including both MTS events). Expenses are down $3,700, mostly due to Membership Benefits, Race Expenses, and Club Events. Overall, our Net Income is $2,000, compared to a $3,400 Net Loss last year at this time.
I like to send this out a few times a year so that someone else compares the statement to the balance sheet I prepare. This is a check to make sure I’m reporting accurately and not embezzling. You will see the bank accounts balances are almost identical to the balance sheet figures.
Authorized Van Drivers (Attachment)
This is a list of driver insured while driving our van. Please review and make sure that all Race Directors and volunteers who might drive the van are listed. In order to add someone, I need their name, DOB, and driver’s license number.
Joy Norris App
This was in the mail. I’m afraid I don’t know who is handling the data base these days, so please make sure she gets added.
I’ve received the renewal notice for our auto insurance. The premium is increasing $132 over last year, due to a statewide rate increase. Our new premium, paid in January, will be $761.
I received a check for $230 from Compass Montessori.
I am sorry to miss the Board meeting, but especially sorry to miss the Wash Park run. I hope everyone has a great time!
- November Trophy Race- Rocky Mountain Arsenal- There were no major concerns with this run and generally it went well. Next year we should use larger directional indicators on the course due to one or two runners that went the wrong way. There was discussion about re-doing portions of the course to make it easier for people to negotiate, especially as it related some larger rocks present on a portion of the course. The 2 or 3 complaints were from the race-walkers. There were no other complaints from the runners that were raised.
- December Trophy Race- December 5- Wash Park- Dave C. & Deb C. are now the race directors for Sunday’s event. Weather should be good. Stephanie will put out the volunteer email tomorrow. Racers are allowed to use both sides of the road but it is best to stay in the walker’s lane to avoid any conflicts with bicyclists.
- Volunteer of the Month- November- Deb C. nominated Jesus Diaz-DeLeon for his amazing job with the photos. 2nd by Dave C.
- 2017 Trophy Series Calendar- There was discussion about conflicts with the race schedule. September 9, 2017 is a Saturday race due to a conflict with the marathon training series (MTS) run on Sunday September 10. Do we want to stay with the Trophy Series Race (TSR) on Sunday September 10 and run the MTS at the same time, with TSR being a 10-miler? That way the MTS runners could run the course twice. Dave R. raised concerns about MTS runners going out fast for the 1st 10-miles in order to be competitive in the TSR then having to do another 10-miles. How about doing the Trophy Series Race the week-end before? That is Labor Day week-end, but the September TSR is our lowest attended race of the year so why not try running it over Labor Day? Logistics both pro & con were discussed. Dave C. suggested emailing the membership and get input, however Deb C. reminded the board that it is our decision to be made on behalf of the membership. In conclusion– the decision was made to hold the race on Sunday September 3 (Labor Day Weekend). An email will be sent to the membership advising of the change and prompting responses about any serious concerns with the date change. The October 1 TSR also has two major conflicts with the Hot Chocolate and the Bear Chase events. The board decided to move this race to Sunday October 8. So….THE TWO MAJOR CHANGES ARE: September’s run will be changed to Labor Day weekend and the October race will change to October 8.
- Voting of 2017 RMRR Board Members – Lisa W. led the discussion ref: the Board of Directors for next year. Lisa advised the board that we will be looking for location(s) to host the monthly Board meetings. It was suggested by Lisa W. that we move the meetings to Sunday afternoons, possibly 4:00, 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. to accommodate a better turn-out of Board members. Jim M. and Lisa W. will start looking for locations to meet.
2017 Board members are: Dave C. and Deb C. will continue to be involved as ‘At-Large’ members; Leslie Mitchell will remain as Treasurer; Lisa Wilson will serve as RMRR President; the VP position is open but we will check with Steve Bennett- he had expressed interest at the September 6 Board meeting but his status has not been confirmed; Dave Rothenberger will head up the Race Committee (Committee to be formed?) and Rick will continue with Permits; Jim Mair will continue as Secretary; Krista Mitchell was nominated for the Membership position but she has not been contacted yet; Stephanie will continue as Volunteer Coordinator; Dave C. will reduce his involvement but will stay active in scoring in a back-up role. Scoring will be passed off to David Kahn, Kristin, and one other (name temporarily not known). As of now, Membership & Website are the only open positions.
- Marketing- We will continue advertising with Colorado Runner. Email Lisa W for additional.
- Track- We are finished with track workouts until the Spring but Dave R. will meet informally in the next couple of weeks to hold training for those planning on a Spring marathon. Dave R. will also lead long training runs along the Bear Creek trail. The trail is maintained with snow removal, unlike the Platte River Trail.
- End of Year Gifts- Dave C. got information back from the woman at the Cherry Creek Chamber of Commerce that Mike Blanchette referred the Board to. Dave C. has prices on sweatshirts and polo shirts and will send an email out to the board for input. Polo’s and sweatshirts are the two choices. These will be for race directors and volunteers, typically 25 of each.
- Anything Else- Next Meeting- January 1 5:00 or 6:00 pm at a pub TBD.